Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Moving The Slider ...


so ... the phone rang at 3am this morning ... it was Mom ... we expected her home about that time, but we didn't know she would actually call and say she was home! However, Nate cleaned out the garage "enough" that the van now fits in just so-so ... and the van was in it's new spot when she arrived home this morning from Florida and she was a bit distraught thinking we weren't at home at 3am! Thus the phone call ...


anyhoo ... I couldn't go back to sleep ... so ... my mind started going a million crazy miles a minute and I started thinking about end of the year/beginning of the new year, etc. ... and what my "goals" (don't do resolutions) might be for this new year ...


I have to say that I am most creative and come up with my best work late at night ... and good thing, since I'm "okay" with being a night owl from time to time ... however, not too keen on being "thoughtful" when woke up at 3am!


anyhoo ... this started my "thought process" for the day ...


We were having lunch with friends last weekend ... and "New Years" and "Goals for the new year" were mentioned ... one of the kids commented that December 31st and January 1st were just "another day" to them ... no big deal ... I started thinking about this ... I "used" to think along the same line ... just "another day" ... but as I've gotten older, with more responsibility, and a bit of age on me ... I see things a bit differently ... it IS a big deal to me - going from the 31st of December to January 1st ... to me ... it's the "end" of a calendar year ... a REAL calendar in my little mind that I view throughout the year ... and this last week and especially the last day or so, causes me to REALLY reflect and ponder what I've done this year! Did I meet my goals I set last January? Did I make the difference I vowed to make? Did I follow through on all those projects I projected for myself?


some ... and some not ...


and ... a day like today causes me to sit down (which I did) and put things in perspective ... I created a list of "goals" and things that I want to accomplish this year ... personal goals, spiritual goals, goals, goals, goals ... can be overwhelming ... however ... I came up with a few things that I REALLY want to do just for me this year ... and with the help of friends and this blog ... I'm holding myself accountable to a few things ... I will discuss those in a post tomorrow ...


I view my life today (the 31st) as a giant Magna Doodle ... where, for one whole year, I've added to my Magna Doodle, some good choices, some bad choices, sketches here and there ... and what is SO amazing to me ... is that tomorrow (January 1st) I get to move the slider from left to right a few times (always do that - I'm weird ... like once is not enough to erase it) and like magic, I have a brand new screen!


I know this sounds stupid ... but that's how I look at it ... as crazy as it sounds ... I love the first day of a new year ... when I actually feel, inside, like it's a fresh, brand new start!


Where, it's okay to have new goals, even though old ones were not met ... it just feels like "another chance" (as Nate preached about last Sunday evening) ...


So ... excited about moving my slider tonight ... and having a fresh, blank screen tomorrow to start anew ... I've already got my plan written out ... and I'll share more tomorrow ...


I guess I feel if I post it here, I will be "more" accountable to my goals than if I just put them on a piece of paper and tucked it away ...


anyhoo ... I'm in hopes that you will be inspired to do some goal setting of your own and maybe we can all be accountable to each other ... to have a GREAT 2009!


We have church this evening ... that's how we will be ringing in the New Year ...


Happy New Years Eve ... tammy

No comments: