Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Star Of The Week ...

Good Morning …

Yesterday’s visit at Vanderbilt went well ….



We met with the Surgeon, Dr. Karla Christian … and she looked LeAnna over … listened to her heart … heard a slight murmur and a slight “swish” … which is “normal” after repairing the hole and also the repair of the cleft in her mitral valve … this is something they will watch the rest of her life … she also looked at her scar … we had been concerned with the top of the scar being very red and prominent compared to the rest of the scar, which is fading … she has hypertrophy in the top area of the scar – hypertrophic scars are wounds that heal overzealously above the skin surface. A hypertrophied scar enlarges within the confines of its wound. Although red and raised, hypertrophied scars tend to regress over time. So hopefully, it will do just that - lessen it’s redness over time and start fading like the rest of the scar.

Dr. Christian had also pulled the records from her surgery last year and reviewed them with me … she was VERY concerned about LeAnna “talking about what she felt during surgery” … but was relieved to find that the anesthesiologist’s report showed no rise or fall in heart rate or blood pressure out of normal range during the surgery… BUT … she was still concerned … she does not think that LeAnna made this up … so she is wanting us to pursue having LeAnna “talk” with someone … and then report back to her … she was so sweet and thought LeAnna looked very good. Hard to believe it’s been a year! She complimented LeAnna on her hair and told LeAnna that she had a good Mommy. That’s nice to hear every once in a while … especially lately, when you feel like you’re at your wit’s end in knowing what to do with all these things we’ve been dealing with the last year and especially the last couple of months!

We did not speak with the Child Life people today … mainly because they were with a family having “emergency surgery” … and I chose not to “wait on them” … it was already 5pm … so we are going to have to “re-schedule” once again – if needed … it will be up to the person that LeAnna is being referred to by her Pediatrician.



Today is a special day for LeAnna … she is “Star of the Week” at school this week and that begins today! She is SO excited! No problem getting her to school today! “Star of the Week” – means … you get to be the Leader whenever the class leaves the room, you get pictures and information about the “star” posted on one of the bulletin boards, you get to bring “special treats” for the class one day during the week and several other privileges during class! So … looks like – today and Thursday will NOT be a problem going to school! She is pretty excited – to say the least … she even wanted to be “Star of the Week” at home this week! Ha! I guess that means she gets to be the “leader” whenever we run up and down the steps! Ha! Which if that’s the case – she’s star of the week, every week! Ha! I’m getting old! I'll post some pics tomorrow ...

A funny I have to share that happened yesterday ….

I was “working” on the computer, as usual, in my little corner and there is a bathroom right beside “my corner” … well … LeAnna had “to go” … so she’s sitting there … and I’m typing away and “trying” to concentrate on my work … when she says … (well … I thought she said), “You like me?” … so, I lean back from my chair and go into this deep discussion about how – of course I like you … LeAnna … not only do I like you, I love you … why would you ask if I like you … you know Mommy likes you … I can’t believe you would have to ask if I liked you … and so on … etc … so when I finally shut-up … she looks at me funny and says, “Mommy … I SAID – can you WIPE me? … I thought I was going to laugh myself off the chair! Then she started laughing … and then … of course … started asking me “do you like me” –
just to be funny since she knew I had a “moment” earlier! Oh My … Moments!

Happy Tuesday as I leave you with this thought …
" Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth." ~Benjamin Disraeli

and ...

"If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise." ~Johann von Goethe





1 comment:

TracieClaiborne said...

Your Dr. visit story brought tears to my eyes. It worries me that she remembers. I always wish I could take away all pain from little children. She is SO PRECIOUS!! You are a GREAT Mommy - the Dr. was right. She always looks so adorable and her hair is beautiful. She's very lucky to have you. Sometimes your blog posts make me want to run over and hug you.... :)