Today ... being the last day of the year ... I can't believe it ... can you believe it?!
Nate had one small job in Lebanon this morning ... so we went with him ...
We had breakfast first and then on to Lebanon ...
And to my surprise, when getting off the exit ... I remembered someone telling me about Pepe's Pizza Company moving to Lebanon - so I made a quick phone call and found out their location ...
After Nate's job, he took me there ... they were open! yippee!
If you've known me for a long time ... you know that my Mom and Dad had their own pizza company during my childhood and Pepe's was the supplier ... AND there were ALWAYS people at our house ... eating pizza! AND there was always pizza in the freezer ... it was a "staple" in our house just like milk and butter.
Anyhoo ... NOW, since moving to Lebanon, they sell to the public as well as businesses.
I walked in and immediately was taken back to my childhood ... the smell was the same ... and the many days that I went with my Dad to pick up supplies all rushed back ... A moment ... my moment ... Nate didn't really get much out of it ... but, he did let me enjoy my moment.
My "moment" turned into a 2 hour job!!!! They only sell their products by the case ... which meant enough supplies to make up 24 pizzas! YIKES!!!!
So ... I made up all 24 pizzas - cooked one and put the remaining 23 in the freezer ... which will keep for 6 months ... nifty! (so if you show up at my house unexpected and you're hungry? - you're getting pizza!)
The first 30 minutes was delightful! All those cardboard circles I remember ... all spread out with crusts on them ... and the sauce ... as soon as I opened the can, I immediately remembered the exact way my Dad taught me how to make them ... he had a "technique" and we DID NOT deviate ... =0)
I realized today WHY he had "technique" ... it was to make everything go further (pinching pennies where we could I guess) - ha!
1 heaping large spoon full of sauce
1 1/2 hand fulls of seasoned cheese (yum)
9 peperoni's
it was very amusing to me that I remembered all of this as soon as I opened each bag of ingredients ...
However ... after a while I realized that I needed to "add more" ingredients to each pizza and I still had stuff left over ... oh well ... live and learn ...
Nate wasn't real impressed with the pizza ... said it was okay ... and it wasn't the best I've ever had either, but tasted better to me -because I was tasting "memories" today.
All the ingredients were original that I got today except for the crust - that has changed.


Anyhoo ... nice little memory of going WAY back for me today ... and it was fun "tasting memories" today in my kitchen, all by myself!

Happy New Year ... it's almost 2008!!!!
happy ... tammy
1 comment:
Oh my word - that is awesome!!! You do not know how many times I've wondered if you could still get that pizza. I remember your family selling it and us eating it at school. I can smell it and taste it in my mind. I would love to know how much it is for a case...can you e-mail me? Happy New Year! I wish you scrapped, those pics and story are SO scrap-worthy! LOL
Post a Comment