Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Day of Torture, A.Y.C.E. Fish and Steroids!

A swirl of activity around here ...


Monday ... was Mom's first time out of the house ... her physical therapy started "outside" the home ... TWO HOURS later she walked back into the house! yikes! Very rough that first day there ... we thought ... "first day ... lots of paperwork, chatting, laughing, getting to know you - type of visit" ... NOT in Star Physical Therapy's opinion! It was more like ... "first day ... lots of paperwork, chatting ... crying ... bending ... riding the spin bike ... crying ... screaming some ... pushing past your EVERY limit ... crying some more ... stretching ... grimacing ... type of visit"


Yikes! Her two hour visit was more like a two hour torture session ... HOWEVER, afterwards ... they laid her on a massage table, attached electrical muscle stimulants, propped her legs up on poofy wedges, wrapped her legs in ice and let her relax for about 15 minutes!


My comment to the nice torturer staff member was ... "man ... you guys about kill them in the beginning, but at least you soften up in the end" ... she just smiled.


eek ...


It was so bad that we popped another pain pill in her mouth while we were there! I searched through my purse and the only "food" I had to follow the pill was an old chocolate peppermint patty mint ... she grabbed it out of my hand and popped it in her mouth ... bless her heart ... desperate times call for desperate measures ...


After arriving home and resting a bit ... she decided that "getting out" was easier than she thought ... SO ... she decided she wanted to go "out to eat" for dinner ... and she was craving fish ... Paradise Ridge Grill has *A.Y.C.E fish on Monday nights ... so that's where we went ... she seemed to enjoy being out ... but was READY to go before the meal was finished ... it's hard for her to do anything for more than 15 minutes at a time ... so she's up and down a lot.



Doing MUCH better though ... very proud of her ...


Yesterday ... LeAnna woke up sounding like the penguin on Toy Story ... (can't remember his name) ... the way he sounded when his squeaker messed up .... anyhoo ... it sounded like she did two years ago when she had the croup ... and this was a high pitched wheezing type noise ...

we put her in the hot shower - this helped some ... sent her on to school ... called the doc as a precautionary ... "no talking on the phone - bring her in" ... they seem to be more concerned with her due to her being a "heart patient" ... so even for minor things, we have to be a bit more concerned ...

anyhoo ... that meant "out of school early" ... we got to our appointment 15 minutes early and still had to wait an hour! (not fun) ... especially when you drop everything you are in the middle of to get dressed and rush there!

after the examination ... she said she had the beginning stages of the croup/whooping cough ... basically the bronchial tubes become inflamed and swell, which makes it a little harder to breathe which produces the 'wheezy' sound ... so she zipped our prescription over to Walgreens from her nifty palm pilot which she whisked out of her pocket (technology is great) and sent us on our way ...

we made a quick stop at the mall for some necessary items ... hosiery, a new head band and a new pair of sunglasses ... (not sure how 'necessary' those were)



then off to Walgreens ... where I had a total mouth flop open and stay there - can't close it - experience! They put her on steroids - five days worth, but said it might only take 2-3 days worth! When they gave me MY amount AFTER the insurance had paid their part ... that's when the "experience" happened! I think my reaction was so noticeable that the lady at the counter said, "mam, is there a problem? I can call your doctor and see if she can have generic ... would you like for me to do that? Mam? (my mouth is still open, and I'm unable to speak) ... finally after tossing the thoughts around in my head of "does she really need this medicine, can we do without it ... WHAT?!?!?! DUMB thoughts - they were immediately dismissed) and I said ... no mam, no problem, no, don't call the doctor, I'll pay ...

This medicine better cure every ailment ... ha!

After reading the attached "info" on the medicine ... the following instructions intrigued me ... "wash your hands and dry them thoroughly, DO NOT push through the foil, peel the foil back, put in mouth immediately, DO NOT chew, only swallow or allow to dissolve on tongue, do not allow meds to be in sunlight, keep in a dark place at a temperature between 68-72 degrees" and tons of more info and precautionaries ... I felt like I was handling nuclear medicine ...

anyhoo ...

the medicine has weird side effects ... so she had trouble going to sleep and then woke up in the middle of the night with sleeping issues ...

definitely will give it to her earlier today ...

She's better this morning ... hopefully, she'll only need one more dose!

Just another "day in the life" ... always interesting, to us anyway ... it's rare we get bored.

so much to do today - not sure what to do first ...

(*A.Y.C.E. - all you can eat)

happy day ... tammy

3 comments:

Renee Camacho said...

hopefully she'll get better soon...did she make it back to school today?

Tammy Batson said...

yep - sent her on to school ... a funny though ... she said, "Mom, I think I should stay home and rest today, the bacteria in my throat might spread to the other kids if I cough and I don't want to make them sick, shouldn't I stay home?"
... ha! I said, ask your Daddy! - she came back to me choking back tears saying, "I have to go to school anyway" ... oh well ... she's fine and hopefully one more dose today will do the trick! This is NOTHING like two years ago - thank God!

TracieClaiborne said...

Such cute pics! Hope she's better now.