Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Art Of Volunteering ...


So ... the word of the month is ... Volunteer ...

Okay ... so ... I volunteer ... right?

I volunteer at church ...

I volunteer at school ...

I wear orange occasionally ... (some will get this later)

I have issues saying "NO" ... which immediately places me in the category of "volunteering" to do something!


however ... after much thought ... there are many ways I can focus on the word "volunteer" ...

okay - not everyone at once - call me, email me or text me to "do something" in an effort to help me focus on my word this month! I'm kidding ... however ... I have put some thought into it ...

and ...

I have decided that one way I'm going to "act" on my word ... is by going to West Meade Place (nursing facility that my Dad and Granddad were at prior to their deaths) and volunteering my time to read to the patients, visit with them, etc.

I have to admit ... I have issues going there ... I was there SO much while they were there that it brings back a lot of memories ... good and bad ... but ... this is one small way that I can "volunteer" and give of myself to my community ...

I have a few other things in mind for this month ... but this one I really want to try and do ...

My aunt Judy goes every Wednesday there and volunteers her time to help out ... so I'm going to call her and see if I can go with her some.

The more I sat and thought about this "effort" ... because that's what it would be ... in more ways than one ... physically, mentally and spiritually ... the more I realized how LONELY, how BORED, how HORRIBLE FEELING some of those people are there ... they beg for attention ...

I know how my Dad was for SO long ... sitting/laying in one spot for days on end ... to the point that he lost all track of time ... we were there ALL the time ... someone was always with him ... and yes ... it got old, it got NOT SO fun a LOT of the time ... but you did it ... because, well, you felt an obligation, but mainly because it was family and it was just the right thing to do! However, there are so many people there that have no one ... no one visits ... no one sits and listens ... no one talks to them, except to say, "here, take this medicine", etc ...

yep ... it's going to be rough ... but I "think" it will help me ... just knowing I'm working on me this year ... and this month by volunteering my time and myself in different areas ... I'm bettering myself ... helping to keep myself not centered on "me and mine", but "others" too ...

I am reminded of my childhood with this "word" ... at the age of 12 I started "volunteering" ... I volunteered at the Red Cross several days a week for that whole summer ... I learned a lot ... I worked in the office area ... and for many summers after that I did volunteer work at the V.A. Hospital ... where my Dad was at a LOT during my childhood ... (for the record - the Veterans Administration Hospital is NOT fun "good times" in the recollection of childhood memories) ... however, I learned a lot those "early teen" summers ... how to deal with people, some basic office techniques, and learning to understand "sick people" ...

I did all of this "volunteering" at the prodding of my aunt who passed away one month after I was married ... we had a lot in common and shared "many" things no one else could understand ... she was a diabetic as well and had become one at the age of 8 just like me. I am very appreciative of all that she taught me and encouraged me to do ... she taught me that it's a tough world ... a world that for the most part does not "understand" and you have to work hard and make larger efforts at getting to places that others are at with "not as much effort". I watched her "back then" and the struggles she had at times in her "work place" just because of her disease ... she was treated differently ... today, there are "ethics" in place to protect people such as her, me, others with health issues that were NOT in effect then.

anyhoo ...

Volunteer ...

so ... going to put forth my best effort to find ways to "volunteer" this month.

Boy ... when I wade out ... I WADE out there! ... whew ... oh well ... .... .... ... ... ...
Volunteering ...

happy day ... tammy

No comments: