Today ... Monday ... first day of summer break ...
LeAnna and I made this deal yesterday ... we even agreed with a high five slap .... that we would sleep in this morning!
She was up by 7:45 - ready to go!
I was just so exhausted from the weekend and last week that I was hoping for at LEAST 8:30!
Oh well ...
As soon as she got up ... BEFORE breakfast ... we made the "Adventure Box"!

A few weeks ago ... I started planning our summer ... I knew it HAD to be somewhat structured due to the "structure" she had just had for 9 months in Kindergarten!
And with my job(s) ... I don't get "summer break" ... SO ... I planned!
And ... here's the plan ...
Every Wednesday is Library Day ... we will go and get books to read for the week ... she has a "library chart" hanging up and as she "reads", she gets a sticker on the chart for every book read. Once she reaches 20 books, she will get a small prize. The chart has spaces for 200 books ... we'll see if she can fill it up! The "good thing" is ... when explaining it all to her this morning, she asked what would happen when all the spaces had stickers ... very cool question ... my answer ... we start a new chart! I'll be happy if she reads 200 books this summer! We will take turns going to the Bellevue library and the downtown library as well.
We will also have "Adventure Day" every Friday. Thus the reason for creating the "Adventure Box". This box contains "adventures" for every Friday of her summer break. Each Monday she will draw an "adventure" out of the box and we will prepare and look forward to that adventure on the following Friday.
She drew her first one out this morning ... she was SO excited ... that before she drew she begged for us to do the adventure today and then all the other adventures she would wait until their respective "Friday" ... I said no, of course ... so she drew ... and ... this Friday ... is a "mystery day" ... when we pull out of the driveway ... she will determine if I turn left or right and we will continue doing this until we've had lunch, some cool sight seeing and find "something" to do ... wherever we end up! Sounds mysteriously interesting!
Then ... she has her "new" chore chart ... this has been posted and a new one will be posted weekly ... Daddy will check her "check-offs" at the end of every week which will determine her allowance for that week ... if there are spaces "un-checked", deductions will be made ... and NO puppy dog eyes allowed at Daddy if spaces are unchecked each week!
AND finally ... I've started a "summer blog" ... it's so I can create a book about her Summer Break 2008. You can follow it with us if you would like ... it's a "picture a day" type blog ... however, there may be more than one pic and info ... I think it will make a nice book for her to treasure.
You can follow the link ... it's called 81 Moments ... basically ... there are 81 summer break days "moments" for her to enjoy ... and I want to capture each one with a picture. Check it out here.
LeAnna entertained herself today with a few of her graduation gifts ... and while outside today, I noticed that my Peonies had bloomed! Very cool ... "thanks" previous homeowner ...
Something else ... today ... 20 years ago ... this evening ... I graduated from High School ... "shout out" to my fellow grads who read this blog ... LOTS of memories!!!! AND, it was also the first night that Nate and I ever went out ... so this evening ... he took me to dinner and a night out ... it was so nice ... we ate at a new place ... called Wildwood Oak-Fired Kitchen ... neighborhood Bistro with a Chef-driven menu focused on approachable creativity, utilizing local products coupled with global influences. (how's that for a review - ha) ... VERY good food ... our Oak Grilled Filet was oh so good ... with Maple Tarragon Glazed Carrots, Bacon Wrapped Fingerling Potatoes, Champagne Veal Reduction, and for dessert ... rum molten chocolate cake with raspberry sauce - Woo-Hoo ... yummmmeeeeeeee!
Twenty years ... come and gone ... WOW!!!! hard to believe ... we had a great evening of "reminiscing" about our "beginning" so many years ago ... it was a nice evening.
happy day ... tammy
4 comments:
How in the world do you remember that it was 20 years ago today? You're a nut! Who was in that limo with you? Ha! Me and Scott somebody. Don't even remember his name! LOL!
We need a 20 year reunion but give me about another 20 years to lose weight first.
Oh and ps: you are a great Mom. LeAnna lucked out when she got you.
You guys will love your Mystery Day...I know our kids do. Well, we call it "exploring", but the concept is the same...right or left, then on the interstate the option to stay on or get off at an exit, more right or left until we find something cool. And, we have found some cool things, so I know you will too.
Have a great summer!
I can't wait to see where the Mystery leads you this time...don't tell the kids what you're doing or they'll want to tag along, lol!
Congrats on 20 years...that seems like forever, doesn't it. Just seems like SOOOO MUCH longer than 16 years, lol!
And Kaitlyn will be stalking LeAnna's blog this summer, I'm sure.
Post a Comment