Saturday, May 03, 2008

Encouraging The Unassuming Invisibles ... is the "true" Art of Encouragment.


today ... I was invited to attend a special get together at my home church ... they have a monthly ladies get together called "Women In The Word". Sis. Tinney was the special speaker today ... and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.


she spoke on the "art of encouragement" ... she mentioned how things that we say ... whether good or bad ... will have an effect on the person we are speaking them to. And I thought ... how true that we never seem to forget the "true encouragement of the spoken word" or the "true discouragement of the spoken word" ...


so I sat there thinking as she was speaking of how someone "effected" her at 11 years old. someone said something to her that she has never forgotten. what was said, left her with a question in her mind as to how the "speaker" meant it and to this day she's never forgotten it. it made her question her confidence level about herself ... and obviously, patterned her life somewhat, all over those few small words that just "popped out" of someones mouth and as an 11 year old, wasn't sure how to take it.


hmmm ... so I began thinking ... you know? ... there are things that stick out in my mind that people have said to me through the years ... that are STILL there. some good ... some bad ... and yes, I have to admit ... effected me. For me to still remember something said to me at 8 years old, and for me to STILL toss that around in my head? yep ... had an effect!


Man! Makes one stop and think ... and to SERIOUSLY and carefully choose every word that comes out of the mouth towards someone else ... and ponder it a bit before popping it out ... will this hurt this person? will this uplift and encourage this person? will I leave them WONDERING for the next 30 years what I REALLY MEANT!


I have BIG issues with perception! So many times ... we say things without thinking and honestly mean NO harm at all by them and think SURELY they will take this right (as an after thought) ... and then only to find out years later that something "you" said, they were offended by. Ah man, that is horrible! And I've been there ... didn't have a clue that someone felt indifferently towards me, only to find out that something that was said years ago, was taken wrong and feelings had gone unattended by this one little unassuming comment. This happened to me recently and I was stunned ... I never would have had a clue, had they not approached me ... which I am SO glad they did ... WoW ... you just never know ... I was SO sorry that they felt that way but was very relieved that they came to me, so I could plead my case and make things right. I think they were very relieved too, and felt much better after coming to me.


So ... art of encouragement ...


I really liked one statement she made ... she said, there are SO many people in this world that become invisible in this world ... mainly because someone years ago, said something to them that hurt them and they never forgot it or let it go. And because of it, they walk around with low self esteem, no confidence in themselves and lead invisible lives ... and WE pass them by everyday unassumingly, keeping them invisible. Like the single mother of three, who is not able to purchase and wear the "trendy" clothes, who has more than her share of bills and no help from a spouse because he left her. Like the not so attractive, verbally beaten down bag lady at the market, who bags groceries for a living, probably because she doesn't feel like she could do anything else. These people are the way they are, because of the "spoken word" good or bad, spoken years prior that made them who they are. When who we "normally" give the encouragement to are people with the "trendy" clothes on, or the ladies that don't have "so many" issues, or lending the words of encouragement to the "executives" at work instead of the "people who clean the toilets".


when all they need is a word of encouragement. not a "general" word of encouragement, but a SPECIFIC word of encouragement, meant just for them, that when said, would be taken personally (in a good way).
I was definitely challenged to "specific encouragement" ... and to give more of it ... especially to "unassuming invisibles".



Yep ... it was nice today to be reminded that when you "think" you don't have a "so-called Ministry" ... the Art of Encouragement is a wonderful ministry to choose. And anyone can do that - if they so choose to.
I was glad I took time out of my busy life to attend this morning ... it was an encouragement all in itself!


happy day ... tammy

2 comments:

TracieClaiborne said...

That is so great!
I like to think that everyone has a ministry and I like how you said you can "choose" for your ministry to be encouraging people.
That is awesome.
Go Tammy!

Allison said...

I am so glad you were able to come. It made my day to see your sweet self there.