Saturday, April 19, 2008

Childhood Profanity Can Be a GOOD Thing ... at the right moment ...

My friend Allison invited me to attend this with her last night ...

It was SO super cool and I had the best time ...

I LIVED for concerts in my 'teen' years ...

I remember having a subscription to CCM Magazine and the FIRST thing I would do (after scanning the front cover and index) was flip to the back and look over all the upcoming concerts in the Tennessee area ... I would circle the ones I wanted to attend ... call friends and see who was interested and then immediately make plans to go ..


I attended so many ... and it was SO much fun ... this was a definite highlight of my youth.

So ... when Allison called and asked if I would like to go - I was like ... Oh yeah! And then the memories started flooding and I was almost giddy about it ...

The concert was to benefit Mercy Ministries and to celebrate their 25 years in existence. Just hearing the stories and learning about them, was very cool. To know that a lady, Nancy Alcorn, had a vision 25 + years ago to have a home for girls facing "crisis" in their lives and giving them a place to go "free" and offering them "hope" when they got there ... amazing ... AND it's non-funded by the government ... "on purpose" ... if they took money from the government, they would not be allowed to share the love of Jesus with these girls ... and Nancy knew that's exactly what these girls needed ... issues with eating disorders, drug addictions, cutting, teen-pregnancy - help they "could not" get at a mental hospital, she could offer through Jesus.

Wow ... very enlightening, and a very heart-touching experience.

The music was SO incredible ... we stood up a lot of the time, "cheering the artist on" so to speak ... =0)

It SO took me back ... I remember how good it felt to be with all my friends, having a great time and doing something my parents approved of! ha! Jumping around, screaming out after the song was over ... clapping and hollering like a crazy person ... not a care in the world, other than being in the moment ... yep ... it all came back ...

I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed myself ... except this time ...

I'm older ... I have a husband at home, a child at home, more responsibility, a house of my own to take care of ... all of the fringe benefits of becoming "older" ...

So the thinking "this time" wasn't as "carefree" as when I was a teen ... but because it's been so long since a good concert - it just took me back!

We had the best time ... and Israel and New Breed ROCKED!!!!! Oh My ... to hear them in person, when I'm so used to just hearing them on the iPod ...

it was great!

Afterwards ... we went to eat at Mafiaozas ...

however ... on the way ... we're sitting at the corner of Wedgewood and 12th Ave. South ... and a homeless person comes up to MY window, slams his hands on the window and I literally thought I would die ... I was SO startled by this ... Dianna in the backseat saw him coming and all she could do was say, "aahhhhh" as he got closer ... and all I saw was two large hands slam against my window ... oh my goodness ... apparently I immediately reverted to childhood profanity and all I could get out of my mouth was ... "AAAHHH - you Dumb-Dumb!" and then I turned and pushed Allison's arm and said DRIVE!!!! However... we were at a red light and there was a car in front of us ... and I guess by pushing her arm it would cause her to push the gas pedal and would make a swift exit ... (as I was coming out of my seat) ... and I all but excreted waste in her seat!


Yep ... it was horrible ... and I was scared to death! Thank GOD the door was locked! It just didn't matter at that point ... as far as I was concerned ... he was coming through the window after me!


oh my goodness ...


everyone in the vehicle were laughing their heads off at my childhood profanity outburst!


It was pretty comical after the fact ... but ... "dumb-dumb"? Where did that come from?! OH well ...


funny ...


We didn't get to the restaurant until around 11:30 or so ... we had the best time ... and I wasn't delivered home by our designated driver (Allison) until 1:37am ...


woo-hoo ... it was definitely a GNO to remember ...


It was nice "thinking way back" to the younger years ... but I love my life now and wouldn't have it any other way!

Thanks to all our husbands who took care of the kiddos while we were having a GNO!

(but now that I think of it ... the husbands don't come in with "thank you's" to us when they have a "guy's night out" ... hmmm ...) oh well - Thanks Anyway!


happy day ... tammy

4 comments:

carandavis said...

that is scary and hilarious at the same time.

Allison said...

I have been watching Israel on youtube all day. I also have been on Natalie Grants site and leaving comments on her new blog. I forgot it was GMA week. Maybe we can catch some other peeps around town this week.

Hope you didn't have nightmares last night about Dumb Dumb:) We (Mysty, Diana, and I) have been laughing about that all day:) If that Sephia would not been in front of us I would have probably ran over the guys feet.

TracieClaiborne said...

That dumb-dumb story is hilarious. I had a guy come up to me downtown tonight and ask for a quarter. A quarter? If you're gonna beg, go up a little. ha! (Now I'm doubting myself on that story but I think he asked for a quarter. LOL)

We were supposed to have a handout at that Mercy Ministries concert. Pastor Wess (that I work for) is friends with Nancy. But he forgot to call her. He had a showcase downtown tonight. Isn't it great to get out and hear good music? Love it!!!!!

TracieClaiborne said...

Tammy - we are such twinkies. Just the other day I thought, "wonder if you can play Pac-Man online?" and there it is on your blog. ha!!