Friday, March 27, 2009

Teacher Of The Day ...


Today was a very special day ...

LeAnna was "Teacher of the Day" at school today ...


Becoming teacher of the day is a level you can attain by participating in the AR program at school (accelerated reader) ...

She has been working very hard ... there were a couple of kids ahead of her at the beginning of the year ... and she bypassed them and is now in the lead ...

She found out on Thursday that today would be "her" day ...

She was so excited Thursday evening she could barely go to sleep thinking about what all she "might" get to do being the "teacher" for today.

What makes this even more special to LeAnna is that she has been saying for over a year now that she wants to be a teacher when she grows up ... at age 3 and 4 she told us she wanted to be a doctor ... we've just always encouraged her that she can do/be anything she wants to ... but she would just have to work hard and "not" going to college was NOT an option ...

Not too long ago we discussed "again" about her wanting to be a teacher ... I told her that I thought that was awesome! I also mentioned that being a teacher was great, but she might not make as much money being a teacher as she would another profession (ha) ... she said, "I don't care about the money Mommy, I just want to help kids" ... this was the same thing she told me when we used to discuss her being a doctor ... she would say, "I just want to help kids, I want to be a kid doctor" ... "I want to dress like a princess everyday when they come to my office so they won't be scared if they're sick" ... I really don't care what she wants to be as long as she just "wants to be" and goes to college and becomes whatever "that" is ... =0)

Anyhoo ... very cool today that she got to be "the teacher" ... maybe one day she'll look back on "this day" and be able to reminisce a bit ...

We are very proud of her ... she is reading at a third grade level and loves it! When she gets the option for "free centers" at school, she usually chooses to read ... that makes me happy! I always loved to read and could always be found with a book in my hand ...


Even today ... I love reading a good book and usually keep one going and make myself take time out to read.

I'm hoping LeAnna will continue to love reading ... and become "avid" about it ... =0)

She got to sit at the teachers desk all day ... Ms. Green sat at another little table. This was like the coolest thing ever for her!


I go to school on Friday's and help Ms. Green out in the afternoons ... soon after I arrived today, Ms. Green looked at LeAnna and the class and said, "I'm going to the office for a minute, I'll be right back, LeAnna's in charge, if you talk or get out of your chair, LeAnna will be taking notes and writing your names down. (LeAnna's response was, "ooh-yea") - ha!

So ... of course, two students had to go to the bathroom and a couple got up out of their seats "trying" their new teacher! ha! Here she was writing names down ... was too funny! And to not discredit her, when Ms. Green got back in the room, she took the list and referred to it as if it were "official". She REALLY felt like something special today ...



She got to sit with Ms. Green and actually "read the book" to the class ... afterwards she had to ask questions about the book and the kids raised their hands and she called on different ones to answer ...

When we got ready to leave this afternoon, I thanked Ms. Green for doing something like this and taking the time to do this for the kids ... she even said it went over very well and better than she expected ... everyone seemed to enjoy it and I think it made all the others want to work hard to obtain this level for themselves ...

It was a very exciting day!


happy day ... tammy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an honor! I know you guys are proud of her. That's a cool thing for her teacher to do. Gives the kids a taste of something adult and responsible. She'll never forget that experience.
Eddie