Good Afternoon ...
Well ... my interest in Nashville history has deepened ...
We visited the library today and I checked out some books on "Nashville history" ...
Excited with my finds ... (I only checked out 4 books for now) ... I've been pouring over one this afternoon ...

... my two favorite "finds" in this particular book are the following:
#1 - Percy Warner ... Nashville businessman and civic leader in the late 1800s ... Warner died suddenly and unexpectedly at age sixty-six. As a memorial tribute, land which had been presented in the preceding year to the city to form a large public park by his daughter Percie and her husband Luke Lea received the name Percy Warner Park.
This was interesting to me how the park got its name.
The following picture is of "Percie" the daughter ... also in the picture are her two son's, far left - Percy Lea ... and far right - Luke Lea, Jr. (her husbands name was Luke Lea) ... funny that she kept her maiden name.

#2 - Maxwell House Hotel ... construction started in 1859 and was complete in 1869. It was famous for almost a century for its fine cuisine and luxurious appointments. Adding to its fame was the popularity of "Maxwell House Coffee" ... developed by Joel Cheek of Nashville, who named his blend after the well-known hotel. President Teddy Roosevelt is credited with the coffee company's advertising phrase, "Good to the last drop"! U.S. Presidents who stayed at the Maxwell House hotel included Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes, Grover Cleveland, William McKinley, and Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt. The Maxwell House burned in 1961 ... the site is now occupied by Suntrust Bank downtown. Also in the far right of the picture, you can see the beginning of a very small, short building ... this was razed and the famous L&C building now stands there.

Wow! That is SO cool ... that a VERY famous coffee was created by a "Nashvillian"!
Nifty Neat!
I'm so eager to get into my other books ...
Also ... I had to run an errand downtown today and noticed some architecture I had never noticed before ... I can't wait to go back and do some photography ... in my spare time that is! ha!
Anyhoo ... I'm enjoying my new interest ...
Happy Day, tammy
No comments:
Post a Comment