Monday, June 25, 2007

The Sunken Sink Is Sailing Again ...

Good Afternoon ...

Well ... the sink is FINALLY fixed!!!!

The plumber just left ... we had a broken connector piece and a leak in the garbage disposal ...

Two weeks is ENOUGH of sink issues!!!! (it fell two weeks ago today)

Glad this is over with!

AND ...

Glad the granite company is paying the bill!!!!! Woo-Hoo ... even better!!!


Okay ... so ...

I don't know what has happened to me ... but all of a sudden, I'm intrigued by Nashville history!

I saw a special this weekend about the history of Nashville and the "way it used to be" downtown ... and the many buildings that no longer exist ... that were "razed" for whatever reason!

I taped the show so I could go back and "review" ... it was so interesting to me.

My Dad was REALLY into Nashville History and until this weekend, I had not even thought about it once since seeing him laying in his recliner, reading books he would get from the local library about Nashville's history.

As I was looking at the old pictures on the show, wondering what those old buildings were like back then ... and wishing some of them were still here. There was one particular picture that showed the "Loews Theatre" ... it was not like theatres today ... it was extravagant ... plush carpet with large designs, very large chandeliers ... the actual auditorium reminded me of the Broadway theatres in NYC where you go to see Broadway shows ... very nice ... I would imagine that people really dressed up to go there.

Then I found this old picture of the Union Station Hotel and some interesting facts about it ...



On October 9, 1900, this Romanesque landmark opened as the “union station” for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. With a soaring barrel-vaulted ceiling, Tiffany stained glass, two alligator ponds and a bronze likeness of Mercury atop the clock tower, the station reflected the energy of America on the move, and the excitement of a new century. During the early decades, Americans still moved by rail and by the 1920s, scores of travelers had traveled through Nashville. Legendary mobster Al Capone even passed through on his way to Alcatraz. Tens of thousands of U.S. troops were transported in and out of Nashville celebrity entertainment was a staple at the USO canteen on-site. The advent of super highways spelled the decline of rail travel, and Union Station became a ghost of its former self, eventually closing in the 1970s. A decade later, a massive renovation transformed the once vibrant depot into an eclectic boutique hotel.


I've always been intrigued by this structure ... and absolutely LOVE the clock tower!

I love pictures of historical architecture ...

And seeing this feature this weekend has made me want to do a little "photography" around town ...


So, when I do ... I'll post a few pictures ...

This is a picture I took last August (2006) of a window at the West End Methodist Church, ... where my grandparents were married over 60 years ago ...


Love black and white photography!

Well .. Got to get back to work ...


Lovely day, tammy

No comments: