Saturday, August 05, 2006

Architectual Nostalgia ...

Good Afternoon ...


So ... today ... I'm feeling a bit "nostalgic" ...
I had a client EARLY this morning ... 8:00 A.M. ...
And ... on my way back ... I had to come through town ...
I love driving down West End ...
And ...
I love good architecture ...
And ...
I love black and white photography
And ... I love combining the two ...
I've been wanting to shoot some buildings downtown for a while ...
But ... usually ... when I have the time, I don't have the camera ... etc ...
So ... today ... I had the camera ...
I drive by the West End Methodist Church all the time ... and for a long time now ... have wanted to stop and take pictures ...
Not just because of the very cool architectual structure of the building ... but a few years back, I learned that my Grandparents were married there ...
After my grandmother passed away, and my grandfather got sick ... I had opportunity to spend a lot of quality time with him - back and forth to the doctor - the assisted living home, etc ...
And one day on the way back from Baptist Hospital for a doctor's appointment ... he told me the story of his wedding day to my grandmother ... and it was at this West End Methodist Church.
So ever since then ... when I pass it ... I of course, think of this ... and have thought to myself that I would love to have some pictures ... even if just for sentimental reasons.
So ... today ...
I stopped ...
Looking at the doors ... I thought ...

At some moment in the past ... my grandfather touched this very door ... opening it for his new bride ... to a "new beginning" for them as a couple...
For them ... it was a happy moment ...
And I'm sure there have been many others to touch the same handle and walk through the same set of doors that was embarking on a "new life" as they exited through that stone archway.
And in the same thought ... I'm sure there have been some that touched the same handle with a sadness because they were opening the door for their loved one to pass through in a wooden box while whispering good-bye for the last time.
Yes ... there is something nostalgic to me about architecture, black and white photography and even more so ... when there's a good story behind it all!
Happy Saturday ... as I leave you with this thought ...
You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown
... tammy

1 comment:

TracieClaiborne said...

Great pics! You really need to scrapbook that story! Forget scrapping pictures - scrap STORIES. That's what I do.

I've also been wanting to take some shots like that. I'm finally getting used to my new camera. It rocks. LOL