Today is "officially" one year since the sugery. We have an appointment at Vanderbilt with the Surgeon today.
Off and on throughout this last year, LeAnna has “remembered” a few things about the surgery … mainly when they removed the chest tubes… she’s had some bad dreams about it, woke up in the middle of the night crying about it … and even in the middle of the day, while playing, come to me crying and ask questions as to “why they cut her open here (while pointing to her chest) … our Pediatrician suggested I contact Vanderbilt just as a “quality improvement” type issue back in October … I didn’t … But … it was because things seemed to die down … she didn’t really mention it much anymore … well after the “O’Charley’s Incident” a month ago, it has started again … the crying, the questions … and now “new info” about what she remembered in surgery … this was all very shocking to Nathan and I … “something” else had to of happened … a 4 year old wouldn’t know how to make up this type of story … anyhoo … with all of these “fears” combined now with the “why did that lady try to take me?” due to the O’Charley’s incident, we mentioned it again to the Pediatrician while we were there last week … once again, she said, Please contact Vanderbilt …
So … I did … and much to my surprise – the surgeon herself called me back within an hour or so of me contacting them.
I was a bit shocked …
She was very understanding and said they would be pulling records of the anesthesiologist report during surgery, the report on what meds were given prior to the chest tube removal and also a report on the doctor that removed them. She was concerned and agreed that LeAnna should see some type of counselor to help overcome these fears.
The main reason we pursued this … is because we are now having issues at school … she is scared to stay on her full day because she has to “sleep there” … and she says she “misses her Mommy too much and can’t” … she asks us questions all the time if she’s staying ½ day or all day. I spoke with the director at the preschool about it on Monday and she agreed as well, that she should see someone. They noticed a change in LeAnna right after the O’Charley’s incident as well … and even brought it to my attention, which made me have to tell them all of the above. They are very understanding and supportive. When you are “paying” for your child to “have someone to play with” and to “learn” all at the same time – you sort of want to get your money’s worth! =) And you pay even if you leave early or don’t attend at all … which has happened some lately …
So ... we're ready to get this resolved ...
We have "goodies" we're taking Dr. Christian ... LeAnna is excited about going back and seeing everything. She talks about "Children's Hospital" all the time.
Yesterday, she had a rough time at school again ... ended up okay ... only cried a couple of times ... when I arrived to pick her up, the kids were outside playing ... the teacher started yelling for her and she didn't respond ... I didn't see her anywhere on the playground and neither did the teacher ... she even started sending other students off into different directions to look for her ... I even had a little heart flip/flop for a nanosecond ... FINALLY she appeared ... her and a little friend, Lauren, were under one of the slides "talking" ... "about animals" ... her and her little friend walked to the gate where I was standing and they hugged and said, "see you Thursday"! She seemed so happy when I picked her up ... the teacher was "out of breath and looked a little blushed" ... bless her heart ... after all we've been through that day with her and then not able to find her ... I was hoping she didn't have a coronary! ha! (this particular teacher is the assistant and a little older)
She wouldn't eat at school ... so when I picked her up she was VERY hungry ... I asked where she wanted to go and she said, "Joe's Diner" .... so that's where we went! While sitting there eating ... we discussed what we were going to do today ... visiting VUMC ... and seeing the surgeon who "fixed her heart" ... she said, "no, she fixed the hole"! She is so precise!
Okay ... so ... have a Happy Wednesday as I leave you with this "random thought" ... tammy
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." ~Judy Garland
No comments:
Post a Comment