Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Things that were hard to bear are sweet to remember. ~Seneca

My heart is full today … Tuesday … one year ago today, LeAnna had open heart surgery. The actual “date” is tomorrow (April 12th), but it was on a Tuesday …

It was hard for me to go to sleep last night … just “remembering” how HARD it was to go to sleep one year ago last night! Wow! A whole year! We’ve come a long way! She’s doing GREAT! And for that I’m grateful.

But … as a mother, I still can’t help but remember the “not knowing” what was going to happen, and how it was all going to transpire … and what I would think … or how I would act when I saw her “again” after the surgery … I remember feeling so scared inside … for my baby … my little bitty one that “I” birthed …

I knew that God was in control of the whole day … (that’s what got me through)

BUT …

…there’s something about a Mother’s heart that … aches, worries, loves, hopes, prays, consoles, cares, anticipates, comforts, and even dreads some things, all at the same time! It was a whirlwind of emotions going on inside of this woman!

We’ve had ups and downs in the last year … some fears have surfaced … But through it all God has been there … speaking Peace to my weary soul. There were times I didn’t think I could get through the day … but I had to make myself get through each day, not only that – but each hour it seemed at times. It was a very traumatic experience for all involved … but the weight I carried in “my heart” was overwhelming at times … and as most Mother’s do, it was all of those emotions I listed earlier. But God is good and I am a better and different person today because of it.

It is with bittersweet tears that I post this today … yes, at the time, it “hurt”, but today, it is a “sweet” recollection of where God has brought us.

We have plans to visit Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital tomorrow (Wednesday, the 12th), we have a small “token of our appreciation” for the surgeon, Dr. Karla Christian … we spoke with her today and have made plans to meet with her while we’re there “visiting”. LeAnna has been asking to “go back” … so I promised … and felt it appropriate for the one year mark. I’m sure there will be plenty of pictures to post of the day.

I can’t thank my family and friends enough for being there for us during that time and through this last year. Your “support” means so much to us and we are so blessed by it.


So here’s to a Happy Tuesday of Sweet Blessings … as I leave you with a thought … tammy

To look backward for a while is to refresh the eye, to restore it, and to render it the more fit for its prime function of looking forward. ~Margaret Fairless Barber, The Roadmender

No comments: